Friday, August 27, 2010

The Accident

Photo: Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo

The other day I witnessed an accident in Luyanó. Orlando Luis and I tweeted what we could, and managed, poorly, to take some photos without some of those guys dressed in civilian clothes taking away our cameras. Traffic accidents happen all the time everywhere in the world and I wonder why the Cuban government blocks these incidents from press coverage. It’s ridiculous and embarrassing that State Security agents spend their time, in the middle of a catastrophe, chasing after little cameras and avoiding reporters.

Sometimes it seems that censorship and bureaucracy are living beings, with their own laws of survival, their need to perpetuate themselves and their life cycles. Does it put the State at risk to tell us how many were killed or injured on August 20, what caused the accident, and what happened to the driver?

It’s not even about a free press press or political freedom, or even the rights of citizens. It’s about this monster that in fifty years has grown to the point where it could swallow everything that happens in the nation. A monster that feeds on our knowledge, our intellect, our ability to understand history. A monster who swallows our sorrows and joys, our dreams and our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Octavo,

I am Caner. I am a student in Women's Studies in Istanbul University, Turkey. I am following your posts since I read a news about Cuban bloggers.

Since I follow your posts for a long time and like them, I created a facebook fan page of you. So people will be able to like you on facebook :)

Link is here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Octavo-Cerco/122397084478155
Good days,
Caner