Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Procession of the Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre



When I reached the Church could not film because the only think I saw all around me were backs. I ventured to raise my arm as high as I could to film blindly, then I felt a hand grab my wrist and an unknown voice said to my neck:

- I will hold you up so you can film her when she leaves.



I could not even see the face of the girl who helped me, there were thousands of people and even though the traffic hadn’t been diverted for the procession, the cautious drivers made a line in Reina Street, waiting for those walking and cheering for the Virgin to finish their march.



I heard, “Viva the Virgin of all Cubans,” and “Freedom.” I didn’t see them but people said the Women in White were a few feet from us… there were so many people I couldn’t tell what was ten feet in front of me. When I walked behind the Virgin I was thinking of all those who for years dreamed of walking with her but were prohibited from doing so, and all those who could not do it today because they aren’t free to think differently.

No comments: