Friday, March 26, 2010

When the Curtain Falls

Photo: Claudio Fuentes Madan

I find it hard, these days, to get back on track; I am unfocused and exhausted. I have the impression that things are moving too much and I almost can’t keep track. In the same way that people living centuries ago thought the earth was flat and static beneath their feet, today I ask myself of this immobility is not simply a fog and lack of information.

From every side come word of corruption, embezzlement, living the good life, and disputes over money among the top military leaders in the government. Meanwhile, down here, the only certainty is that every so often, from Mount Olympus, a head rolls.

I don’t like rummaging around for answers in a future where only one thing is certain: uncertainty. But to deny that the bricks are falling from the wall of power would be naïve. It will not be the first time in history that self-destruction is the destiny of the powerful.

No comments: