Monday, April 5, 2010

What I Don't Want


Photo: Claudio Fuentes Madan

It’s surprising that in a secular society killing a cow is punished by eighteen years in prison, and even more absurd that to kill a man is only punished with ten; meanwhile an independent journalist can be looking at twenty-five.

Based on these absurd laws, then, we all live in the absurdity of everyday life: to buy meat on the black market can be more dangerous for a citizen than witnessing a murder, a person reading an independent blog assumes a risk equal to that of eating beef.

Could we say that a person who reads the international press – known by the official media as the enemy press – while putting a piece of red meat in their mouth is a reckless citizen? According to the law there is no doubt about it, and may the lawyers forgive my saying so, it is extremely hilarious to imagine it.

I don’t want to reach old age living this foolishness, I don’t want to die with a pension of two hundred pesos while my children break their backs as illegal immigrants in the world, I don’t want to turn on the TV and see the face of Randy Alonso on The Roundtable, I don’t want my neighbor caring about whether or not I vote, I don’t want my friends to tell me over and over on the phone: I told you in person that I can’t make it here, I don’t want to – I sincerely do no

No comments: