Monday, December 8, 2008

Stories of horror and mystery

Photo: Claudio Fuentes

What with being sick and having entered the operating room, people called me to find out how I was doing and the stories begin to float to the surface.
A French friend didn’t believe that here they undertake menstrual regulation without anesthesia. While another doctor friend smiled ironically and retorted that sometimes they even did a curettage without it. There I was and I couldn’t believe it, I swear I didn’t think it was possible.
But once again life gives me a lesson to stop being so naïve and another girl I’ve known for a short time, but who has proved to be reliable, tells me that when she was 17 she got pregnant and had a menstrual regulation and they left pieces, so that after three weeks she had a terrible infection and had to have a curettage, and they performed the interruption… without anesthesia.
She remembers it as the worst day of her entire life, remembers her screams and the doctor asking her to behave herself…
This girl is younger than I am and is now 23 years old; if she was 17 when everything happened we’re talking about 2003.

Clarification:
Menstrual regulation: The fetus is extracted with a hose that sucks it out; this is done between 3 and 5 weeks of pregnancy.

Curettage: The fetus is extracted with a spoon that scrapes the uterus taking out everything inside; this is done between 6 and 8 weeks of pregnancy.

No comments: