Thursday, October 16, 2008

Amnesty



When they told me, while Gorki was still a prisoner, that Amnesty International had accepted his case and that if he were sentenced he would be one more prisoner of conscience in the Cuban prisons, it made me super happy because everyone said it was the best thing that could happen, that Amnesty International was the most serious organization and the most able to put pressure on the Cuban government.
But I didn’t know much more about them that, nothing about how the organization works, who and where they are, how bad it has to be for them to take your case, etc. etc. etc.

So I invite everyone who is interested and who also fears that one day they, like me, could be in the category of prisoner of conscience (even though I can’t yet say if it’s ominous or illuminating), to read this material.

Also, speaking of rights and amnesty, I wonder how they categorize the egg seller, who has been freely selling his eggs on the street for the last five years, and today is sentenced to three years in prison, one year for each carton of eggs that he had.


Photo caption: Adolfo Fernandez Sainz, imprisoned since the Black Spring of 2003.

No comments: