Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mix-ups


The other day I saw the movie “Crossing Over” which tried to encompass the subject of immigration in the United States. From my perspective of a “potential emigrant” citizen it seemed quite shocking, although it didn’t deal directly with the “Cuban” issue, and I was very touched. A strange coincidence of “positive” American characters and “negative” foreigners, although subtle, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Almost all of my friends now live in a some country in the world other than Cuba. I see around me that “leaving the country” is the “Cuban dream.” In no way am I standing in judgment on their decisions, I simply think that it is extremely sad that this island has become so unlivable for almost everyone.

My mother dreams that one day I will finally open my eyes and get on a plane for “someplace else,” my friends “fight for” scholarships and postgraduate positions where they might leave, a doctor curses over and over that she chose a career that is not assigned a “white card”; but as if that isn’t enough, high government officials and many people “committed” to the “process” long for the same destiny for their children and themselves.

To say goodbye to somebody at least three times a year is a part of my everyday life, sadly I can’t say the same for saying hello. Strangely, I know my friends don’t find what they’re looking for either, maybe it’s almost as hard to be an emigrant as to live under totalitarianism.

I ask myself when the day will come when we young people don’t have to scatter to the four winds to begin to plan a life from the darkness of emigration. I wonder when the Cuban government will assume responsibility for separating and dispersing us.

Talking about emigration is sad and complex and, like in the movie, to treat it lightly can be sad and hurtful to those living outside the country. Unfortunately, to emigrate is not an option: it’s an exit.

No comments: